Monday, December 6, 2010

What is Copyright?

I have had several people recently contact me about having my work printed elsewhere and they are asked do they own the copyright.

I would like to explain how this works. Whomever takes the picture owns the copyrights- that is the right to make copy's or to use the image to create other products...When you purchase a print you are just purchasing that copy and not the rights to make copy's. I retain all rights to my work and have my professional lab do all my printing to maintain the highest quality possible. I share images on facebook by uploading a watermarked image, these images are for viewing and not to be printed.

Almost all professional photographers retain the rights so that the image quality may be controlled. Rights to an image may be purchased for example in advertising or for publishing.

If you will notice copyright is everywhere now. You will usually have to check a box saying that you own the copyright before you can upload an image to the internet.

All major business's are aware of copyright. Some people have told me that some of the workers at the local chains come and look at their personal pictures before they are printed, the reason is usually workers in the photographic department have been educated on copyrights and if the store is sued for printing copyrighted works a portion of this can be passed down to the employee who printed it. I have also heard of comsumers pictures being refused to be printed because they looked too professional...
I hope this answers some of your questions. Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cindy Thompson Photography's Fan Box

About Me

My photo
I am a professional photographer, Specializing in Newborn/Childrens Photography. I also do Families, Seniors, Engagement, Bridal and Weddings. 318 339 6279